Wednesday, July 1, 2009

River Kwai

From everyone who I have talked to, the tour we went on was a typical example of tours in south-east Aisa. At 7 AM a can picks me up and use drive around town picking people up. Some guys sitting next to me at the hostel show their papers and are told to wait. My paper gets taken away and they put a sticker on me 25 vans show up in a spot and people get off and others are put on. After about an hour I get put on a new van with no one with my color stickers. We go back to my hostel and pick up the two guys sitting next to me and we drive west.
We go to a cemetery and a museum, Australians love their WWII history. Then we get dropped off at the "optional" train ride which is clearly necessary to get to lunch and continue on the tour. After lunch we go and splash around in a waterfall. Two dutch guys and I get stopped by a Thai couple because they want to take pictures with the half-naked white men.
No one on the tour knows what they have signed up for, has paid different amounts and are constantly told to do different things. We stay for two nights on a floating barge on the river Kwai. The next two days involve more waterfalls, elephant riding, a bamboo raft float, drinking games and great Thai food. A unique three days with lots of unique people.

No comments:

Post a Comment